A PROPHECY CONNECTIONS STUDY by Paula Yingst (copyright 2017)
(NOTE: All Scripture verses are taken from the New International Version, unless otherwise stated.)
KEY SCRIPTURES: Matthew 24:1-31; Mark 13:1-27; Luke 21:5-28; Revelation 6:1-17, 7:9-14
PART ONE: PROPHECY PARALLELS IN THE GOSPELS:
An amazing similarity exists within the accounts by Matthew, Mark and Luke of Jesus’ “end of the age” scenario. In response to Jesus’ prediction that the temple complex, primarily rebuilt by Herod, would be destroyed, His disciples asked, “When will these things happen?” And Jesus gave them a basic timeline:
1. The second temple, rebuilt on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, would be completely destroyed: “… not one stone will be left on another; every one will be thrown down” (Matthew 24: 1-20.
THIS PROPHECY WAS LITERALLY FULFILLED IN 70 A.D., when the Roman armies of Titus assaulted Jerusalem and burned down all the temple buildings. They pried apart every stone — just as Jesus foretold — to collect the gold leaf that melted from the roof. In 1968, excavations of the site uncovered large stones that had been literally “thrown down” by the invaders! Recent finding show that Herod’s Temple may not have been built on the Temple Mount as previously taught. Search http://hope-of-israel.org/realsite.html for more details.
2. Jesus called the second block of time “the beginning of birth pains,” and He predicted that the following would occur:
- false teachers and false Christs would appear and deceive many
- wars and rumors of wars
- nations and kingdoms would rise up against each other
- famines, earthquakes, and pestilences in various places
- fearful events and great signs from heaven
HISTORICALLY VERIFIABLE EVENTS THAT PARALLEL THESE PREDICTIONS have been documented throughout recorded history, following the 70 A.D. destruction of the second temple and continuing through TODAY’S INTERNATIONAL NEWS REPORTS!
3. Jesus said, “AT THAT TIME” there would be increased persecution “to the point of death” for His faithful followers. And as “birthpains” increased, the following would happen:
- people would abandon their faith
- false prophets would deceive many people
- wickedness would increase
- parents, brothers, relatives and friends would betray each other
- THOSE WHO STAND FIRM WOULD BE SAVED
- the gospel would be preached in the whole world to ALL nations
4. Jesus refers to a specific event spoken of through the prophet Daniel (Daniel 9:27) approximately 500 years before Jesus’ birth:
“So when you see standing in the holy place [“on a wing of the temple”] THE ABOMINATION THAT CAUSES DESOLATION … then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains … for then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now — and never to be equaled again.” The good news for believers is that this season of suffering will be “cut short.”
No specific historical time period is given by either Daniel or Jesus concerning WHEN this will happen. BUT Daniel gives us a clue: A coming ruler will confirm a seven-year covenant “with many.” And somewhere in the middle of those seven years, THE ABOMINATION THAT CAUSES DESOLATION WILL BE SET UP ON A WING OF THE TEMPLE.
For this prophecy to be fulfilled, the temple MUST BE REBUILT. Today, tension between Islam and Judaism is too great to build on the Temple Mount. BUT if the location of the first and second temples was NOT where it is now taught to be, the Third Temple could be built at any time without international incident!
5. Jesus ends His timeline with TWO INCREDIBLE SIGNS IN THE HEAVENS:
“IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE DISTRESS OF THOSE DAYS ‘the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; all the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.’
“AT THAT TIME the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory. AND HE WILL SEND HIS ANGELS WITH A LOUD TRUMPET CALL, AND THEY WILL GATHER HIS ELECT FROM THE FOUR WINDS, from one end of the heavens to the other” (Matthew 24:29-31).
So, according to Jesus — as documented by Matthew, Mark and Luke — this is the time sequence leading up to THE GATHERING OF HIS ELECT:
- The destruction of the second temple (fulfilled in 70 A.D.)
- Tribulation throughout the world (“birth pains”)
- Increased tribulation for the followers of Christ
- The confirmation of a seven-year covenant “with many”
- The rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem (at some point)
- Approximately 3 1/2 years after the covenant has been signed, a ruler will desecrate the temple by setting up an “abomination that causes desolation.” And unprecedented “distress” will begin.
IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE DISTRESS OF THOSE DAYS:
~ A “sign” signaling the coming of the Son of Man (Jesus) will appear in the sky.
~ ALL THE NATIONS of the earth will mourn as they witness Jesus’ coming.
~ There will be A LOUD TRUMPET CALL.
~ ANGELS WILL GATHER “HIS ELECT” FROM EVERY CORNER OF THE EARTH AND HEAVENS!
Stay with me now, we’re about to get to the truly fascinating details in Parts 2 through 4!
PART TWO: PROPHECY PARALLELS IN REVELATION:
Although the first three gospel writers recorded Jesus’ end of the age timeline, John is conspicuously silent. But when we compare Revelation 6 through 7 with the details documented in Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21, an amazing pattern appears as the Lamb (Jesus) opens six “seals” — unleashing “birthpains” and “the wrath of the Lamb” upon the earth:
- Seal #1: The rider of the white horse represents DECEIT and CONQUEST (according to prophecy scholars).
Jesus foretold that deceivers would come, claiming the power and glory of Christ.
- Seal #2: The rider of the red horse symbolizes WAR and BLOODSHED.
Jesus foretold “wars and rumors of wars” and conflict between nations and kingdoms.
- Seal #3: The rider of the black horse releases ECONOMIC INSTABILITY and FAMINE.
Jesus foretold famines, pestilence, and earthquakes in various places.
- Seal #4: The rider of the pale horse is named DEATH, and he is “given power over a fourth of the earth to kill” with the sword, famine, plague, and the wild beasts of the earth. And Hades followed close behind him.
Jesus foretold that events would take place on earth which would result in death.
- Seal #5: The Lamb reveals a place of honor for the souls of His martyred servants — under the altar of God!
Jesus foretold that His faithful witnesses would be hated by all the nations, persecuted and put to death.
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT: ALL of these prophecies have been fulfilled in historically verifiable ways during the years following Jesus’ death and resurrection! And they continue to be fulfilled TODAY. So, could that mean that the first five seals were opened as John witnessed the vision of revelation?
But wait! There’s more!!!
Please click on the following link to Parts 3 and 4: https://kindarusty.com/2017/09/12/jesus-end-of-the-age-timeline-parts-3-and-4/